~ I didn't wear any green today.
~ I haven't taken a single picture of Camden this week. Seriously, the kid never sits still and if he even sees a phone or ipad he goes nuts so it's not worth the melt down.
~ I've never given Camden juice and have no plans to any time soon.
~ Matt and I had a really good heart-to-heart the other night. I don't think a lot of people understand how hard life can be for us. And sometimes we both just get down and frustrated with things and just need to have a good ol' fashioned talk. I'm hoping things won't always be like this for us but for now we are just taking things day by day.
~ Dunkin Donuts' ice cream flavored coffees are my jam. We stopped last Saturday and I got a butter pecan iced coffee and Matt got a cookie dough iced coffee and O.M.G. I'm hooked!!
~ I've never had a McDonalds's shamrock shake. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
~ That if a shirt has pockets and/or thumb holes I've gotta have it. I love me a good, comfy shirt with pockets. And throw in thumb holes - my heart goes pitter-patter big time! <3
~ That that's all I got for you today....
...Until next week....
Yes, I'm well aware I'm probably the only person who still likes to do monthly updates after their baby turns 1. But I can't help it! I just love looking back and reading them. Plus, they'll be great to have in his baby book. AND he's constantly changing so I have lots and lots to say about him.
So any who, my sweet little boy turned 16 months old on Saturday, March 12. This kid rocks my world like no other. He is so incredibly awesome...and fun....and goofy...and sweet. Oh, and he's smart, so, so smart!!!! I've lost count of how many words he says. He knows all his animals and knows all the noises they make (which he has for a few months now but has added new animals like a skunk!). He has recently really gotten into counting things and we are just starting to get into letters. He loves, loves, loves looking for cars and dogs (his 'woof' is the cutest sound ever!!!) He's still obsessed with books and definitely has his favorites. AND he really loves his mama and dada. He's the happiest when it's just the 3 of us - hanging out and playing. At night when he's nursing he wants his daddy to be sitting right next to us.
Freddie the frog goes everywhere with us (ie see above pic!) and he's most definitely attached to him. Camden loves playing peek-a-boo and always comes around the corner saying 'boo!' He loves to play with my hair - it's definitely a comfort thing for him and I love it. I love the feeling of his little arm wrapped around my neck as he plays with my hair in the back. This little boy has me wrapped right around his little finger and I don't care <3
He loves himself a good little temper tantrum though - especially if he's tired. He likes to be given a choice in things and is pretty independent (gee - I wonder where he gets that from?!?! ha-ha) He likes doing things on his own terms, which most definitely tests our patience at times.
He's still pretty small for his age - he probably weighs under 21lbs. He's wearing mostly 12 month stuff but does still wear 9 month clothes. We are down to nursing in the morning and at night only. His favorite foods are applesauce, eggs, black olives, pancakes, waffles, and watermelon. He does love veggies, though, especially corn, sweet potatoes, and peas. He still loves to help out and especially likes to help make coffee, unload the dishwasher, and of course help with the laundry.
Pretty much we think he's perfect and are totally loving this age! <3
~ I just bought both of these for Camden. I mean free shipping, 15% off, and chambray - how could I resist?!
~ I haven't been sleeping well this week. In fact, last night I was up most of the night tossing and turning. At one point (around 2:30am), I went downstairs and sat on the couch and ate thin mint cookies.
~ I very rarely get on Facebook anymore and it's made a huge difference in my life. I'm a lot less likely to compare and get jealous if I just stay away from all that. Sad but true.
~ My anxiety levels are off the charts with our upcoming trip. The drive. The flights. The packing. I just hope once we're there I can relax and enjoy our vacation.
~ Camden is at such a fun age right now. Seriously, he's just the best. I'm really looking forward to this summer and hope to do lots of really fun activities. I want him to enjoy being outside as much as Matt and I do! C'mon warm weather - we're all ready for you!!
~ I'm nervous about this weekend's time change. We've never had a problem in the past so I'm hoping that continues. We decided not to do any adjusting since we've been fine in the past - let's see if that was a smart choice for us this time around.
What do you confess?
Low key weekends are my favorite. I absolutely love just hanging around the house with my boys - playing, laughing, and just enjoying each other. And this past weekend was just that.
Friday night Matt went to CrossFit to complete 16.2 of the Open so it was just me and my littlest man. We played. We bathed (well he did...) We read books and snuggled. It was glorious. I got quite a bit done after Camden went to bed and before Matt got home, which was nice. Matt came home with goodies - wine, chocolate, guacamole and chips. So, of course, we pigged out and binge watched Scandal...my kind of Friday night <3
Saturday I went for a long run while Camden took his morning nap. Then we headed to music class. During his afternoon nap we got a bunch of prep work done, we filed taxes, we looked at finances, we got other miscellaneous stuff done. It was nice enough out that we even went for a walk after Camden woke up (he LOVES watching all the cars go by "vroom"!) Then Saturday night we got takeout from Wegmans after the little man was in bed (sushi for me and a chicken finger sub for Matt) and then settled in to watch the movie Room. It was definitely a good movie but one that tugged at my heart strings BIG time as a mommy. Like I can't even imagine....
On Sunday, I hit up Pilates class during C's morning nap as usual (but not before I built a fort and played hide 'n' seek with my little guy!) We headed out to go to The Strong Museum of Play right after he woke up only to realize on our way there it didn't open until noon. Soooo we ran a couple errands then headed home for lunch and a nap. As we were driving this conversation happened and I've got to share here because it's something I never want to forget:
(from the back seat)
Me: Yeah, buddy?
C: love you.
Me: Aw I love you too! You're such a sweet boy!!
Matt: Yes, bud?
C: love you.
Matt: Love you too!
He is seriously the sweetest little boy ever and he just melts my heart every day!!
So anyways, after Camden's afternoon nap we headed straight to the museum. It was Matt's first time going there with Camden and we had so much fun! As soon as we got home I whipped up a batch of pancakes for dinner then Camden was ready for tubby time and bed time - he was beat!!
~ that sometimes when I'm talking about Camden to others I feel guilty that he's such a good baby. I find myself downplaying how good and smart he is and I don't want to do that. Hey - I'm a proud mama - I want to give him (and us) credit. I think we made some really great decisions and that reflects in him and I shouldn't down play that for any of us. And if you don't like - tough...deal with it ha-ha :-p
~ I signed us up for a summer CSA through a local farm. It's our first time being part of a CSA and Matt and I are both looking forward to trying it out. I really hope we like it!
~ these chips are my jam. I mean seriously - they're amazing and totally satisfy my chip craving when we're trying to eat clean. They are only 3 ingredients - sweet potato, coconut oil, and sea salt. So what are you doing? Go to the grocery store now and get yourself some!!! (Matt found them at Wegmans.)
~ I have so many blog drafts in my drafts folder and just never get around to finishing them up and posting them. I actually have some good ones in there, too, so I have to get around to finishing them!
~ I made a Shutterfly book of Camden's first year (hooray for coupons for free books!) and recently got it in the mail. It was a labor of love - with lots of pictures and not much else - but I'm so glad I did it. He loves looking through it and pointing himself out and all his people (mama, dada, nana, papa, mimi, pops, cousins, etc, etc.) Not to mention, I love looking through it - those early days seem so long ago (I forget how tiny he was!!!) It's so great to flip through it and remember the moment each picture was taken. Such a great keepsake (especially since I'm terrible at keeping his baby book up to date...oops!)
~ that I still need to print off all of the monthly updates I did on here and put them in his baby book. Since I am so terrible at updating his book, I'm glad I continued doing updates here on the blog so I have at least those to include. I love going back and reading what life was like each month.
~ I regret not weaning Camden earlier. Like seriously, I'm pretty positive he'll never self wean. And at this point, when he sees me, all he wants to do is nurse, especially if he's tired or not feeling well (which I totally get and know it's totally normal.) On one hand I love it. I love that bonding time. I love being able to comfort him like no one else can. But he is almost 16 months old. He's getting big - too big. And it's at the point that if I'm around no one else can comfort him, which can be very frustrating for all of us involved. So I'm not sure what to do. I really wanted to keep nursing him until we got back from vacation/through winter but I don't know if I can hold out that long. We shall see....
~ it's one of my most favorite times of the year. What might that be?! Umm - hello...Girl Scout cookies. Thin mints are my favorite (and I don't even want to admit how many boxes of cookies I bought this year.) Clearly this isn't going to help me get bathing suit for vacation - ugh! ha-ha
What do you confess?
When I found out I was pregnant I immediately started reading anything and everything. And, of course, once I announced my pregnancy everyone was quick to put their two cents in. By the end of the pregnancy I was convinced I'd never shower or sleep again. I was convinced my baby would cry non-stop. I was convinced I'd never have a free moment. And yes, at times, some of this was true. But most of the time, it was the total opposite. Now don't hate - I do have to preface this post with the fact that I got a REALLY good baby - like a REALLY good one. And yes, I count my blessings EVERY day for this because I know this isn't the case for everyone. But anyways, here are some mommy myths - debunked!!!
1) "You'll go days without showering." Actually, I showered every day while I was on maternity leave (unless we were having a lazy day at home in which case I didn't shower not because I didn't have the time or energy but because I just didn't want to.) I really don't get this one. I mean it takes what? 5-10 minutes to shower. Take a shower while baby is napping. If the baby is awake put him/her in a bassinet or swing or bouncer while you shower. The only situation where it could be difficult to shower, if you're home alone with a baby, is if your baby is super colicky or something like that. But honestly - you will shower daily once you have a baby (if you so choose that is....)
2) "You'll never get a full night's rest again." Again, my baby slept GREAT which means I did too. The first week I woke him up every 3 hours to eat, then every 4 hours when he was two weeks old. Then when he was about 3 or so weeks old I stopped waking him in the middle of the night and let him dictate (in which case he only woke up once to feed.) I also helped facilitate good sleeping habits (look for a post on that later!) I was getting a lot of sleep (heck the first few weeks I didn't even get up for the day until like 8 or 9!) I got more sleep at night in the beginning than I do now!! (please don't hate on me...I know some people will just shake their heads at this like I'm crazy...but really it's not that bad)
3) "Breastfeeding is painful." Yes - there were times I'd wake up in the morning and the girls were rock hard - full - and achy - and it wasn't pleasant. But again I was lucky enough that nursing was never painful. I remember a little bit of soreness in the beginning but it was never excruciating. I never cried because his latch hurt. I never dreaded a nursing session. I know this is mostly just luck and that a lot of women experience pain in the early nursing days. However, not EVERYONE does....remember that.
4) "You'll fall instantly in love with your baby." Yes, the second they laid him on my chest it was awesome and I loved him. But that deep, love-like-you-can't-even-imagine feeling didn't hit me the second he came out. It took time. It took getting to know each other. It took some bonding time. Now...now, I love my son more than I ever imagine. Now I understand what everyone says. It's a love like no-other. It's an obsession and I wouldn't trade it for the world. BUT it didn't happen the second he was born. To some it might but that wasn't the case for me (and no, that doesn't mean I love my son any less than a mom who felt that love instantly!)
5) "You'll never have free time." OK, yes, free time will become VERY, VERY limited. But it is there - even if you have to search hard for it and make good use out of it (free time might not be 2 or 3 hours like it was pre-baby...it might just be 15 or 30 minutes.) But we all have free time in our day. Think about it - you probably spend 15 minutes at a time scrolling through Facebook or stalking Instagram. Maybe instead of doing that you take that 15 minutes to do something more meaningful that you truly enjoy - like reading a book, or taking a bath, or knitting, or scrap booking, or whatever. It might not be a lot of time but it is free time.
I'm sure there are other things that aren't always true when it comes to motherhood that I have forgotten (in fact read Bonnie's post here....) but these are the ones that come to mind right away. And remember - if these all happen to be true for you - it's OK. You aren't failing. You aren't doing anything wrong. It's just a season and it shall pass. Just hang on and take it day by day <3
Hey ~ I'm Renée...just your ordinary, 30-something Accountant, new mommy, wife, runner, foodie, & Pinterest addict! Welcome to my newest adventure...stay awhile...look around...and keep comin' back!